CFRE (Certified Fund Raising Executive) Refresher Course
The CFRE Refresher Course will be offered in Central Ohio in 2019 - Date TBD
CFRE stands for Certified Fund Raising Executive. This certification serves as an impartial, third-party endorsement of your knowledge and experience against international standards in philanthropy. It adds to your credibility as a fundraiser and sets you apart from other professionals. The CFRE process requires a comprehensive written application followed by a written exam. Individuals interested in the CFRE designation must have at least five years of paid, professional practice in fundraising, meet all of the minimum eligibility requirements, and pass the written exam. The CFRE designation has on-going requirements in order to maintain the certification; the holder must demonstrate he/she continues to meet requirements.
The AFP CFRE Refresher Course uses case studies to provide a “refresher” of the six fundraising knowledge domains and the core principles and concepts that all experienced fundraising professionals should know. While the course is designed as a refresher and not an in-depth review, course delivery is flexible with 1-day and 2-day options to allow extra time for discussion.
The course is taught in an active learning style and includes mini case studies (“caselets”) for group discussion, making the learning experience both substantive and enjoyable.
Learning objectives include:
- Apply fundraising skills and knowledge to real-life scenarios.
- Identify personal strengths and weaknesses in terms of your understanding of the fundraising knowledge domains.
- Assess personal readiness to take the CFRE examination.
- Develop an effective personal study plan.
The AFP CFRE Refresher Course is not designed to be a preparatory course for the Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) Examination but instead is a review of the body of knowledge at the five year level which many individuals use in studying for the exam. There is no guarantee that any of the specific content covered in this course will appear as specific items on the CFRE examination. CFRE International does not sponsor or endorse any educational programs, and this course was not developed in conjunction with CFRE International.
AFP strongly suggests that participation in the AFP CFRE Refresher Course be just one element of one’s study plan to prepare for the CFRE Exam. Please visit the CFRE International website www.cfre.org for additional study materials. A complete overview of the development function for fundraising professionals who would like to improve their development skills, learn to raise money more efficiently or build upon their current development skills.
For more information visit
AFP International Education Courses Chair
9990 Riverside Drive
Powell OH 43065
Position Title: AFP Education Courses Chair - (Fundamentals of Fundraising, CFRE Review Course, Fundraising Effectiveness Project)
Capacity: Board member
Reports to: VP of Education
● Organizes and chairs regularlyscheduled Committee meetings.
● Recruits and enlists volunteer committee members; monitors the work of volunteers to ensure timely completion of assignments.
● Serves on the board of the Central Ohio AFP Chapter.
● Works with Chapter leadership to determine need for AFP IHQ Course offereings each year.
● Coordinates planning and implementation of CFRE Review course and/or Fundamentals of Fundraising
● Establishes best practices criteria for and selects course instructors.
● Serves as liaison with IHQ to schedule, promote, market and oversee CFRE Review course as per best practices IHQ handbook.
● Determines the location and timing of the CFRE Review course in coordination with the chapter education calendar.
● Coordinates registration and prepayment for all course participants.
● Maintains student database and sends followup letters after course; sends electronic certificate spreadsheet to Chapter Administrator for records.
● Obtains necessary supplies (folders, course materials).
● Monitors the student' attendance and course completion.
● Presents certificates to individuals who have completed the requirements.
● Compile class evaluations submitted by the students as per IHQ.
● Works with VP Communications and Marketing Chair to outline strategies for communicating course opportunity to members and nonmembers.
● With committee, personally promotes course opportunity through group and oneonone communications.
● Serves on or assigns committee member to serve on the CFRE Review Scholarship selection committee.
● Provides timely and uptodate content to Chapter Administrator for committee web page on chapter web site.
● Develops and submits a budget to the treasurer within designated deadlines; monitors committee income and expenditures.
● Works to successfully achieve goals outlined in Chapter Strategic Plan.
● Celebrates success; ensure that the celebration of success includes expressions of gratitude to volunteers.
● Adheres to policies and board member responsibilities adopted by the board.
● Upon leaving office, transfers all records in current condition to the successor.