Come join us in transforming the lives of children! We make a difference every day with our work -supporting, empowering and advocating for the adults who make the biggest impact on children’s lives — their parents, caregivers, and teachers.
We’re seeking a Director of Organizational Advancement who will lead advancement efforts, serving as a strategic thought partner to the CEO and setting the course for greater engagement with key audiences. The person in this role will be responsible for the complete advancement model, which includes marketing, communications, and philanthropy. We seek an individual who is a strategic thinker, a systems builder, and excellent at building and managing relationships.
This person will be instrumental in the effort to expand the role of philanthropy in the organization and will collaborate with the CEO to set clear fundraising goals and define a path toward achieving them. The Director will focus primarily on the major gifts program, while working closely with the Organizational Advancement Manager on the Annual Fund and other fundraising initiatives that will be part of the overall program. Lastly, candidates should have a strong understanding of how to leverage donor data through a CRM system.
Major duties of this position include:
· Budgeting & Forecasting – Prepare and oversee process for area of responsibility
· Department Goals – Set annual targets and milestones that demonstrate how Advancement’s work is in service to broader organizational goals
· Strategy Development and Implementation – In service to the Advancement budget, create an annual plan of fundraising strategies, marketing activities, and other initiatives that provide realistic pathways to achieving the budget and department goals
· Identify the critical resources and practices required to achieve goals and implement practices that support an effective and productive advancement program
· Manage strategic audience segmentation, understanding the goals for each segment and how to appropriately engage them through both marketing and development activities
· Actively contribute (in partnership with other senior leaders) to the development and implementation of organizational strategies and objectives
· Effectively guide direct reports/team members to achieve department goals and objectives and to contribute to overall organizational strategy
· Develop Program Strategy – With the Advancement team, create an annual fundraising program plan that leverages multiple strategies across giving audiences and categories
· Oversee the Organizational Advancement Manager in the implementation of the program and the management of the annual fund, special events and initiatives, and database management
· Annual Program Plan (board, individual, and corporate) – Devise and implement efficient, effective fundraising practices and initiatives to grow productive donor relationships
· Serve as the liaison to the Board on philanthropy and collaborate with the Board Advancement Committee to guide and coordinate volunteer activities, especially peer-to-peer strategies
· Major Gifts – Develop and implement strategies to fully engage and retain donors, including tailored plans for major gifts donors (both institutional and individual)
· Corporate Support – Work with existing funders to increase engagement to both support the program and satisfy corporate priorities, research and secure new corporate donors
· Grants (foundations) – Manage a coordinated, strategic approach to seeking and securing grants, working closely with the Organizational Advancement Manager
· Events Management – Oversee special events as part of the comprehensive philanthropy program, setting clear goals, defining a clear purpose for the events and ensuring coordination with other program strategies
Marketing and Communications
· Strategy – Direct and oversee agency’s marketing strategy, which includes serving program needs, agency goals, and supporting the philanthropy program
· Supervise Marketing Associate in the implementation of the marketing plan
· External Relations & Community Affairs – Manage the agency’s profile in the community through effective media relations, collaborations with partners, and participation in community events and activities
· Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Business, Marketing, Nonprofit Management, or related field
· At least 5 years professional experience in nonprofit fundraising and marketing required
· Previous supervision and management experience
· A donor-centered/customer service mindset
· Strong organizational, interpersonal, verbal communication, writing and presentation skills
· Self-motivated and self-directed
· Strong technology skills – Proficient with Microsoft Office suite of products, experience using Etapestry or similar Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software. Familiarity with MailChimp is a plus.
· Collaborative and proactive working style
· Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning – As an education organization, we expect our employees to maintain current knowledge of research and best practices and share knowledge with direct reports and the agency as a whole.
· Professional Certification – CFRE is a bonus
· Understanding of how intersecting systems of racial, gender, and class discrimination shape conditions for early childhood educators, child care programs, and the children and families they serve
· A desire to contribute to a workplace and profession that values collaboration, diversity, growth, and respect for all people
No phone calls please. While we sincerely appreciate all applications, only those candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Please note, the selected candidate will be required to submit to our background and reference checking process. Action for Children is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org