Website Grants Plus
Engagement Specialist/Engagement Strategist
We are filling multiple positions. The distinctions between the Engagement Specialist and Engagement Strategist roles are meaningful in practice but not for recruiting purposes. Please apply and if you advance in the interview process we will discuss the nuances in these open positions.
Description of the role: The Engagement Specialist/Engagement Strategist joins an experienced team of other grant seeking professionals to lead exceptional grant writing, research, and strategy within engagements for nonprofit clients and to positively contribute to the company’s team culture, national reputation, and impact in the philanthropic and nonprofit sector.
This professional directly engages with a portfolio of nonprofit clients. S/he may provide engagement coordination and leadership, directly advise clients on their overall grants strategy and their relationship approaches to specific funders, and to deliver grant writing and grant research services. S/he is accountable for troubleshooting client challenges and proposing strategies and solutions, leading conversations and sales steps to renew and extend engagements with clients, and applying Grants Plus standards and making independent judgements to meet engagement objectives and achieve client satisfaction. S/he contributes to improving processes and building internal knowledge of industry trends, and participates in professional development experiences and special projects as requested.
Qualities we desire:
An exceptional candidate will match to all of these desired elements of experience; if you believe your experience mostly aligns, and you match the requirements, you may be a good fit and we encourage you to make the case for your candidacy. Our team members come to Grants Plus with varied backgrounds, but share a common commitment to the nonprofit and philanthropic sector, to one another, and to our firm’s success.
• Experience in nonprofit grant seeking. S/he has advanced knowledge and skills related to grant seeking and grants management, including grant writing, research, editing, budget development, and funder strategy and relationship building with foundation funders. S/he may have experience as a grant writer, grants manager, or foundation relations manager.
• Government grants experience: Some members of our team focus on foundation grant seeking while others have a concentration in preparing government grant applications. S/he may have expertise developing narratives, attachments, and budgets for complex government grant applications to local, state, and federal funders.
• Adeptness at project management and delegation. We take a team approach to our work with clients. This role requires a team leader who can work collaboratively and be comfortable supervising and integrating the work of other staff and contractors.
• Experience in consulting for nonprofit clients. The Engagement Strategist/Engagement Specialist will be accountable to meet billable hours expectations, apply our internal process standards, use project management tools, and fulfill defined scopes of work within client engagements.
• Personal and professional attributes:
o Is independently motivated and proactive to offer ideas, raise questions, and propose improvements.
o Embraces and practices direct, respectful, and clear communication.
o Is effective interacting with people with varying personalities and communication styles.
o Leads with empathy.
o Has attention to detail while seeing the big picture, and can set the strategy to get there.
• At least 5 years of experience in a nonprofit fund development role or a professional services firm serving nonprofits.
• At least 2 years in a role specifically focused on grant seeking and grant writing.
• An eagerness to positively contribute to our company culture and values, including to our commitment to being an anti-racist firm that strives towards building and maintaining greater diversity, equity, and inclusion within Grants Plus, the grant seeking and fundraising profession, and the nonprofit consulting sector.
Location: The Engagement Specialist will join a remote work environment, working from anywhere in the U.S. When travel can be safely resumed, occasional travel may be required to the firm’s main office in Cleveland, Ohio, and to client offices located across the U.S.
Compensation: This is a full-time salaried role. Compensation includes generous benefits (health insurance, paid time off and company holidays, Simple IRA plan, and bonuses based on individual and company performance). Salary will be based on experience; the salary band for this role starts at $55,000.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume in one PDF attachment to the attention of the Director at [email protected]. If you are selected for an interview, you will be asked to provide a writing sample and references. Only applications that follow these instructions will be considered.
We strive to be an anti-racist firm and an Equal Opportunity Employer. We seek and are taking proactive steps to ensure a diverse applicant pool for this position.
To apply for this job email your details to Careers@grantsplus.com