Jazz Arts Group
Director of Development
JOB TITLE: Director of Development
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer
JOB SUMMARY – Director of Development: The Director of Development is responsible for the development, management, implementation and evaluation of an overall fund-raising program consistent with the Jazz Arts Group (JAG) needs and goals. To that end, the Director of Development plans, executes and evaluates all annual, sponsorship, endowment and planned giving programs, as well as fund-raising events and benefits. The Director of Development is also responsible for making grant applications to federal, state and local government agencies that provide arts funding and researching and applying to private foundations and corporations that provide arts grants. The Director of Development will recommend fund-raising policies and procedures to the Chief Executive Officer and Board with the goal of building a year-round development program that demonstrates the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct. The Director of Development will serve as the staff liaison to the Development Committee of the JAG Board of Directors.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES- Director of Development:
· Plan, manage and implement all phases of the Annual Fund campaign: oversee the solicitation and acknowledgment process, maintenance of records, and establishment and disclosure within IRS guidelines of donor benefits; monitor progress and make adjustments as needed.
· Work with the Board to develop and direct a year-round program to cultivate new prospects and seek out new funding opportunities.
· Develop and implement a corporate sponsorship program; research and identify potential sponsors; prepare proposals and work with the Board to identify matches between JAG’s program and each company’s interests.
· Prepare grant applications for corporations, foundations, and government agencies that provide arts funding; research all grant possibilities and write reports and back-up materials to support each application; follow up on each proposal.
· Work with Board and volunteers to plan all special fund-raising events and benefits; participate in establishing the budget and oversee the executions of each event.
· Oversee the development and production of all materials used to support JAG’s fund-raising events and campaigns in conjunction with the JAG Director of Marketing & Communications.
· Plan, manage and implement all phases of the Special 50th Anniversary campaign: oversee the solicitation and acknowledgment process, monitor progress and make adjustments as needed.
· Develop an ongoing planned giving program; work with the Board to identify, cultivate and solicit prospects.
Budgeting and Planning
· Assist the Chief Executive Officer and Board in establishing appropriate goals for the Annual Fund and all other fund-raising campaigns deemed necessary each year.
· Develop a plan for achieving those goals and establish a master calendar that outlines all campaigns and fund-raising events; coordinate all activities with JAG’s master calendar.
· Work closely with the Chief Executive Officer and other designated staff in long-range planning for JAG; prepare budget projections as needed.
· Report to the Board and Executive Committee on progress for all fund-raising events and campaigns; provide other reports and statements as requested.
· Recommend fund-raising policies and procedures to the Chief Executive Officer and Board with the goal of building a year-round development program that demonstrates the highest standards of professionalism and ethical conduct.
· Develop budgets for each event and campaign; monitor the progress of each, and adjust plans when necessary.
· Oversee the maintenance of all donor files and records; develop and administer all donor benefits programs in accordance with IRS guidelines.
· Provide regular progress reports on all campaigns; prepare development listings and financial statements as needed by the Board and staff.
· Develop and maintain internal and external contacts to optimize fund-raising efforts.
· Maintain ongoing contact with contributors, corporate sponsors and business and community leaders.
· Support efforts to solicit in-kind contributions.
· Keep abreast of recent research on fund-raising; maintain a collection of current fund-raising resource materials.
· Attend other civic and cultural events in the community; represent JAG by speaking at public events as requested.
· Serve as administrative liaison to the JAG Board of Directors.
o Collect contact and personal information from Board Members on an annual basis.
o Update Tessitura database and Board rosters, providing updated materials to JAG staff.
· Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
· Possess an understanding of development principles, and teamwork; sound, creative writing skills; creativity; good communication, presentation, negotiation and organization skills; ability to work well with others and manage volunteers; effective grant-writing, presentation and interpersonal skills, and the ability to analyze and manipulate electronic data files.
· At least five years of successful development experience, with a proven track record of effective planning, implementation and revenue target achievement. Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree or equivalent other advanced training preferred.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org