Website Peggy R. McConnell Arts Center
Position Title: Development Director
Status: Exempt, full-time
Salary Range: $50,000-$60,000
Reports to: Executive Director
About the Role: The Peggy R. McConnell Arts Center (MAC) of Worthington seeks a motivated Development Director to lead philanthropic efforts for the multi-disciplinary arts center serving Worthington and the greater central Ohio region.
In this role you will work closely with Executive Director, Development Committee, and Board members to cultivate new donors, steward existing supporters, and develop new funding streams for programs and operations. You will develop a budget and fundraising plan, perform all gift entry and acknowledge gifts, manage the donor database, plan the annual fundraiser, and support building operations when needed by attending occasional night and weekend events.
About the MAC: The McConnell Arts Center is a dynamic multi-disciplinary arts center located in Worthington, Ohio in the historic former Worthington High School building. The MAC opened in 2009 through a partnership between Worthington Schools, the City of Worthington and the Worthington Arts Council, and has created a vibrant and dynamic arts program of the highest quality that is enjoyed by patrons throughout the central Ohio. Featuring established and emerging artists on view, on stage, and in class, the MAC provides exhibition and performance opportunities to local artists. Through diverse programming including art education classes, exhibitions, and live performances, the MAC builds connections between artists and the community in a comfortable setting, inspiring personal growth and promoting a well-rounded and balanced life.
The MAC remained open through most of the COVID-19 pandemic with limited programs and vacant positions remaining unfilled. As programs start to expand, we are working back toward a fully staffed team of 7 members with additional support from independent arts instructors and passionate volunteers. Benefits include vacation and sick time and access to a company sponsored healthcare plan, paid membership in Association of Fundraising Professionals or similar peer group, complimentary tickets to performances at the MAC and from our partners, and a flexible working environment.
· Prepare, define, and prioritize fundraising goals and create and implement an action plan to achieve those goals
· Plan, manage, and execute all aspects of fundraising and development including major and planned gifts, annual campaign, direct mail, special events, sponsorships, foundation grants, corporate grants and contributions, government grants, in-kind gifts, and prospect research
· Strengthen existing relationships with current patrons to continue interest and support for existing and/or new programming
· Identify, cultivate, and solicit various levels of prospects through appropriate methods of communications
· Analyze and manage constituent database, enter and acknowledge gifts in a timely manner, track progress to goals, evaluate return on investment, and provide reports on success of fundraising methodologies employed
· Write and produce development collaterals including solicitation and stewardship materials
· Work with current community partners and develop new partner relationships
· Compose narratives for grant applications, craft donor correspondence, and write program descriptions for solicitation and promotions
· Create an ongoing stewardship program involving Board, staff, committees, and community volunteers and evaluate effectiveness
· Participate, as part of a decision-making and planning team, in defining overall Center goals and support programming strategies to achieve those goals
· Develop and effectively manage budgets
· Prepare related correspondence and collateral material
· Serve as staff liaison to the Development Committee and assist in recruitment of new committee members
Fundraising Expectations: Before the pandemic, the MAC’s annual budget was $850,000 with 60% coming from contributed revenue. With consistent support from the City of Worthington and MAC donors, contributed income has remained steady in the past year while earned revenue has declined, and these percentages are in flux. As we begin to rebuild in the next year, the amount responsible for fundraising by the Development Director will be in excess of $250,000 annually, with an expected increase to $300,000 by 2023.
Work Environment: To perform this job successfully, you should be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The physical demands and work environment described in this job description are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this role. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, you will be regularly required to use a computer and communicate with co-workers in an office environment. You will frequently need to stand or sit to complete work, make a presentation in front of an audience, and when supporting building operations and events, you may occasionally need to lift and/or move up to 40 lbs.
Our Ideal Candidate: Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3-5 years professional fundraising and development experience in the nonprofit sector with increasing responsibility in roles and responsibilities. You should be goal-oriented and mission-driven. You should be comfortable and successful working independently as the sole member of the Development department. Flexibility and creativity are essential qualities. You should have a demonstrated dedication to fundraising and the arts with a proven fundraising track record. An ability to motivate and guide volunteers is essential. You should have experience working with fundraising software and have the technical skills to utilize the system and manage data integrity, or the aptitude to quickly develop those skills.
The MAC is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined in federal, state or local laws.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and references to [email protected] No phone calls please. Posting will remain active until position is filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com