CFRE (Certified Fund Raising Executive) Refresher Course
CFRE Refresher Course
September 25-26, 2019
2-Day Comprehensive Course
(This program is only offered in Central Ohio every other year. Next offering will be in 2021.)
2019 Scholarship application and registrations deadlines extended.
The AFP CFRE Refresher Course asks you to apply fundraising theory, skills, and techniques within the six knowledge domains of the field, based on experience at the 3 to 5-year level. This course will not be presented in a lecture format; it will be presented by fellow fundraisers that have obtained their CFRE’s.
Dates & Location:
Wednesday & Thursday, September 25-26, 2019
8am – 5:30pm (both days)
American Red Cross
995 E Broad St., Columbus, OH
Parking is Free
$390 for AFP Members
$490 for Non-members
Fee includes all sessions, workbook, refreshments and lunch both days.
16 CFRE Credits applied for and pending
Registration Deadline is now Friday, September 13, 2019
or complete and return the hard-copy registration form below
Scholarships opportunities are available for AFP members.
Deadline for scholarship applications is now: Wednesday, September 11, 2019
[wpdm_file id=199] [wpdm_file id=198] [wpdm_file id=200]
For more information contact course co-chairs
CFRE stands for Certified Fund Raising Executive. This certification serves as an impartial, third-party endorsement of your knowledge and experience against international standards in philanthropy. It adds to your credibility as a fundraiser and sets you apart from other professionals. The CFRE process requires a comprehensive written application followed by a written exam. Individuals interested in the CFRE designation must have at least five years of paid, professional practice in fundraising, meet all of the minimum eligibility requirements, and pass the written exam. The CFRE designation has on-going requirements in order to maintain the certification; the holder must demonstrate he/she continues to meet requirements.
The AFP CFRE Refresher Course uses case studies to provide a “refresher” of the six fundraising knowledge domains and the core principles and concepts that all experienced fundraising professionals should know. While the course is designed as a refresher and not an in-depth review, course delivery is flexible with 1-day and 2-day options to allow extra time for discussion.
The course is taught in an active learning style and includes mini case studies (“caselets”) for group discussion, making the learning experience both substantive and enjoyable.
Learning objectives include:
- Apply fundraising skills and knowledge to real-life scenarios.
- Identify personal strengths and weaknesses in terms of your understanding of the fundraising knowledge domains.
- Assess personal readiness to take the CFRE examination.
- Develop an effective personal study plan.
The AFP CFRE Refresher Course is not designed to be a preparatory course for the Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) Examination but instead is a review of the body of knowledge at the five year level which many individuals use in studying for the exam. There is no guarantee that any of the specific content covered in this course will appear as specific items on the CFRE examination. CFRE International does not sponsor or endorse any educational programs, and this course was not developed in conjunction with CFRE International.
AFP strongly suggests that participation in the AFP CFRE Refresher Course be just one element of one’s study plan to prepare for the CFRE Exam. Please visit the CFRE International website www.cfre.org for additional study materials. A complete overview of the development function for fundraising professionals who would like to improve their development skills, learn to raise money more efficiently or build upon their current development skills.
For more information visit
AFP Global Education Courses Chair
Carolyn Caldwell, GPC CFRE
Position Title: AFP Global Education Courses Chair – (Fundamentals of Fundraising, CFRE Review Course, Fundraising Effectiveness Project)
Capacity: Board Member
Reports to: Vice President of Professional Development
- Organizes and chairs committee meetings
- Recruits and enlists committee members; monitors the work of volunteers to ensure timely completion of assignments
- Coordinates planning and implementation of Fundamentals of Fundraising and/or CFRE Review Course including:
- Establishing best practices criteria for and selects course instructors
- Serves as liaison with AFP Global to schedule, promote, market and oversee courses
- Determines location and timing of courses in coordination with the Chapter education calendar
- Coordinates registration and pre-payment for all participants
- Maintains student database and sends follow-up letters after course; sends certificate spreadsheet to Chapter Administrator for records
- Obtains necessary supplies and course materials
- Monitors student attendance and course completion and presents certificates
- Compiles evaluations
- Works with Vice President of Communications Marketing Chair and Scholarship Chair to outline strategies for communicating course opportunity and scholarships to members and non-members
- With committee, personally promotes course opportunity through group and one-on-one communications
- Develops and submits a budget to the Treasurer by designated deadline; monitors committee income and expenditures
- Provides timely and up-to-date content to Chapter Administrator and Marketing Chair for website and digital publications
- Ensures there is a succession plan to cultivate a new chair to take his/her place as needed
- Works to successfully achieve goals outlined in Chapter Strategic Plan
- Celebrates success; ensures that celebration includes expressions of gratitude to volunteers
- Adheres to policies and Board responsibilities as adopted by the Board of Directors
- Upon leaving office, transfers all records to successor