Central Ohio AFP offers a variety of educational opportunities throughout the year. Sessions are planned by the Education Committee and are typically held the second Tuesday of each month as breakfast, lunch, or happy hour meetings. These learning opportunities for fundraising professionals cover a wide variety of topics to benefit the range of our membership—including those new to the profession or considering a career in fundraising, as well as mid-career and seasoned professionals.
Guest speakers are identified locally, regionally, and nationally to present on a wide range of topics. Care is taken to ensure content is relevant to both large and small development shops across a wide range of industries. In addition to the educational components of the luncheons, monthly educational sessions provide valuable networking time with colleagues. Additional workshops and events may also be offered throughout the year in collaboration with other AFP committees or professional associations.
Educational offerings include:
- General Monthly Session – Usually a luncheon, these regular presentations always include time for Q&A
- Pre-Lunch Session – Additional topics may be offered before a general luncheon in a given month. These sessions are for members only and are free with lunch reservation.
- Speaker Series – a more in-depth presentation involving a special speaker or national expert
- Brown-Bag Series – offered for free or reduced cost, members & guests are invited to bring a sack lunch
- Cocktails and Calamities Happy Hour – this annual summertime tradition features fundraising horror stories from local AFP colleagues and the lessons they learned. And cocktails, of course!
- Book Club – Join colleagues in reading and discussing best practices from nationally renowned authors
Attendees are surveyed following each educational program to receive feedback on presenter, topic, and location. Suggestions through these surveys lay the groundwork for future programming.
The AFP Education Committee is made up of member volunteers and welcomes your participation as it strives to provide programs that are timely and relevant, and meet the needs of the membership.
For questions about current or future programming, contact this year’s Educations Co-Chairs.
Registration for each event will be added to the website about one month before the event takes place. An email will also be sent to our mailing list announcing registration so you will know when to register!