Primary Function: With primary responsibility for managing the annual fund, the Development Manager is a critical point of contact for understanding donor stewardship and engagement. The Development Manager plays the critical role of translating and leveraging data to deepen relationships with CATCO’s donors and patrons, effectively tracking the relationship with the goal of increasing contributed revenue. The ideal candidate will be able to manage the development process, including the implementation of annual fund mailings and data analysis, while maintaining a timely acknowledgement process. This position reports to and is supported by the Executive Director.
Additional Information: This is a full-time, salaried exempt position working a primarily remote or hybrid schedule. The selected candidate will be eligible for CATCO’s benefit package, including medical, dental, vision and life insurance, Paid Time Off (PTO), complimentary tickets to productions, and professional development opportunities for personal and professional growth (as funding allows). The salary range for this position is $45,000-48,000. Additionally, this position will receive annual performance reviews, with potential for salary increases.
With you in this critical new role, CATCO will intentionally work toward becoming a nationally recognized, anti-racist contemporary theatre company that anchors a thriving local theatre ecosystem in Columbus, Ohio.
The person for this position enjoys creating and managing systems for effective fundraising and data management. You are someone who is curious and asks questions that lead to understanding. Additionally, this detail-oriented, organized, and focused individual thrives on managing all aspects of the donor experience, including stewardship from ticket buyer to donor. Using their excellent communication skills – verbal and written – they can support the creation of clear, compelling, and persuasive content rooted in CATCO’s purpose. You are relationship-focused with a commitment to operationalizing diversity, equity, and inclusion practices.
This team player is able to work collaboratively and independently. You bring an empathetic demeanor and strong work ethic to your conversations with Board members, staff, donors, and patrons. You will be an ambassador of CATCO’s story in creative and compelling ways. You must be able to manage many projects, while consistently meeting deadlines by relying on clear processes, structure, and plans.
Duties and Responsibilities
Donor Stewardship & Fund Development
- Works collaboratively with the Executive Director to create, maintain, and/or oversee systems and processes to ensure implementation of effective and strategic development activities.
- Manages and is responsible for the constituent relationship management system – Tessitura (CRM) – and associated applications for donor engagement. (Tessitura training provided)
- Maintains prospect and cultivation plans, while serving as a key advisor to the Executive Director on all matters of contributed revenue.
- Leads implementation of an annual fund, in partnership with leadership, and creates new fund development opportunities.
- Works with CATCO’s Senior Accountant to reconcile contributed income, monthly.
- Operates as a leader and steward of the organization including, serving as an effective speaker for CATCO when needed, linking our vision and purpose with donor interests.
- Liaises with a Board-level Development Working Group.
- Collaborates with the Marketing Director to create communications and outreach content for key communications channels and platforms.
Data and Evaluation
- Reports on and monitors the organization’s development activities to ensure alignment with, and progress towards, achieving CATCO’s vision and purpose.
- Leads the creation of dashboards and reports for evaluating and evolving the program.
- Processes contributions as received in a timely and accurate manner in Tessitura (CRM).
- Prepares monthly reports on contributed revenue for Executive Director/Board of Trustees.
Facilitate Donor Stewardship Events
- Manages details, logistics, and execution of fundraisers and donor engagement events, which may include a Season Announcement Reception, Opening Night parties, and an annual Gala, as strategies for donor engagement and cultivation, increasing contributed revenue.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills required to effectively present the department’s priorities, policies, and positions to third parties.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to problem solve, think creatively, be proactive, and take initiative.
- Exceptional attention to detail with the ability to meet all established deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to research, write, and compile data for planning, evaluation, and reporting purposes.
- Knowledge of theatre and its education requirements, including terminology and skill sets.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including proofreading and editing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of the Columbus community and curiosity to learn more.
- Strong relationship-building and facilitation skills with the ability to find common ground, build consensus, and strengthen collaboration among diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to apply both learned and experiential knowledge to the development of adults and youth.
- Ability to collaborate with diverse disciplines.
- Basic understanding of Ohio’s Learning Standards with the ability to apply them to Theatre Education Standards.
- Proficient computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially accurate mail merges of donor date in letters, as well as shared computer apps for organizing communication, documentation, and meetings.
- Comfortable using various social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram a plus.
- Exhibits creativity, enthusiasm, and appreciation for theatrical storytelling.?
Credentials and Experience
- 3+ years’ demonstrated success in fundraising, advancement, data management & systems, non-profit administration, or communications.
- Ability to process gifts, ensuring both accurate record keeping and proactive donor communications
- Data management experience is critical.
- Experience with Tessitura or related CRM.
- Ability to work some nights and weekends.
CATCO takes the health and safety of our artists, teachers, staff and patrons seriously. In order for us to meet and engage in live theatre and learning experiences that take place in person, we require that all staff be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (including a booster shot). A copy of the candidate’s COVID-19 vaccination card will be requested by Human Resources prior to the start of employment.
Required Application Materials:
Completion of CATCO’s online application including your resume, and a cover letter addressed to CATCO’s Executive Director, Christy Farnbauch, that outlines why you are interested in the position. The deadline to apply is by 11:59 PM on Friday, August 26, 2022. The hiring manager will reach out to you before or after the application deadline if you are selected to move forward in the hiring process.
About the Contemporary American Theatre Company (CATCO)
The Contemporary American Theatre Company (CATCO) is a professional theatre company located in downtown Columbus, Ohio. CATCO works under a Small Professional Theatre (SPT) contract with Actor’s Equity Association.
We believe theatrical storytelling can transform us as people, because it immerses us in an immediate and communal experience that activates our senses and captivates our emotions. By doing so we are able to inspire audiences to step outside themselves, see their place in the current moment and recognize, understand and share the thoughts and feelings of another.
Our vision is to become an anti-racist, nationally recognized contemporary theatre company, anchoring a thriving Columbus theatre ecosystem in an empathetic, equitable world. We believe our purpose is to harness the transformational power of theatre that engages with our current moment to inspire a community of empathy.
We achieve our purpose by being responsive to community needs through exceptional:
Productions for adults and young people that immerse audiences in a communal experience, captivating senses and emotions; and Education Programs that foster creative curiosity, personal growth, and connections rooted in empathy. CATCO is committed to maintaining a workforce that is diverse across many lines of difference. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and equitable environment for every staff member. CATCO does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy, lactation status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other protected status.
To apply for this job please visit capa.clearcompany.com.