Website Jazz Arts Group
The Jazz Arts Group of Columbus (JAG) is America’s premier not-for-profit arts organization dedicated to producing, performing and promoting Jazz music. The organization’s mission is to advance and celebrate the art of jazz through performance and education. JAG performances include Jazz at the Southern, our premiere series featuring the Columbus Jazz Orchestra led by Byron Stripling, Jazz at the Lincoln, a series dedicated to rising stars, local legends, national acts and more, JazZoo at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, and a robust schedule of educational and community performances. Jazz Arts Group welcomes more than 12,000 patrons and students annually to its performances, events, and trainings.
The Vice President of Development is responsible and accountable for the planning and execution of a comprehensive program to achieve and exceed the JAG’s income goals from all contributed revenue sources. This includes continuing to execute and build upon existing proven fundraising programs for individual donors; revising, designing and implementing effective fundraising programs for institutional donors; designing and implementing an effective planned giving program; and producing fundraising messaging and materials to reach multiple stakeholders through print, electronic, and digital media as well the Company’s website.
The person in this position builds and maintains relationships with individuals and corporations that deepen the commitment of the Columbus philanthropic and business communities to the Jazz Arts Group and its mission. Along with the Artistic Director and CEO, the VP of Development serves as an external face of JAG as s/he represents JAG throughout the community.
In close collaboration with the CEO, the VP of Development provides leadership and direction in order to inspire, guide, and support the fundraising efforts of the Board of Directors and volunteers, while ensuring that members have the information and materials they need in order to be effective in their work on behalf of JAG. The VP of Development is a key member of the senior management team and reports to the CEO.
Chief Executive Officer
Development Associate/Orchestra Manager Grant Writer
● Cultivate, solicit, and steward JAG’s major supporters.
● Develop and oversee annual fund development, and work with the CEO on fundraising strategic plan.
● Oversee and partner with Grants Writer in solicitation and stewardship of foundation and corporate donors, including securing, preparing for, and proactively following up on foundation and corporate cultivation meetings, proposals, and reports.
● With CEO, develop and maintain relationships with the JAG Board of Directors, including development of plan to further engage the JAG Board of Directors in JAG’s fundraising efforts.
● Develop planned giving efforts.
● Maintain JAG’s fundraising communications and promotion strategy, including cultivation of current and new relationships with donors and funding partners.
● Work with the marketing and development teams to develop and execute a communications strategy that builds the PBO brand and supports fundraising efforts, largely through donor cultivation and stewardship, as well as awareness efforts including, but not limited to, social media, website, and partnerships.
● Serve as a member of the JAG senior leadership team, collaborating on high-level planning and decision making.
● Oversee JAG’s government grants and contracts, including application renewals and compliance obligations.
• Oversee and ensure completion of administrative tasks associated with donations, such as keeping the donor database up-to-date, and sending acknowledgements and year-end giving reports.
● Oversee and collaborate with staff on the management and planning of fundraising events.
● Other duties as assigned.
Creativity: Uses unique approaches and inventiveness. Seeks new alternatives and ideas. Takes appropriate action, and is efficient, resourceful, and creative in attaining position objectives. Ability to be self-directed.
Justice Minded: Seeks equitable outcomes and has a strong sense of fairness and ethics. Continuously committed to scanning for and eliminating bias in self and on one’s teams. Committed to inclusion and treats others as they wish to be treated.
Teamwork: Ability to interact and develop relationships with co-workers, give and receive constructive input, contribute ideas and viewpoints, adapt to changing circumstances and expectations and commitment to understand and remedy interpersonal conflicts.
Initiative: Level of interest in role development, degree of motivation, and willingness to improve performance and increase job knowledge.
Work Habits: Demonstrates dedication, cooperation, positive behavior, adaptability, and flexibility with changes in jobs and duties. Able to anticipate change and bring about changes when they are needed with proper professionalism. Ability to schedule workload, set priorities and manage time in order to complete assignments and fulfill responsibilities.
Passion for the Arts: Desire to serve a common goal of creating and producing performing arts, which is a highly collaborative, deadline-driven, and complex endeavor. Must have affinity for the mission of JAG and know or be willing to learn more about jazz music.
● 8-10 years of demonstrated success in development/philanthropy leadership, preferably in a cultural non-profit organization, with diversified experience in the following: individual giving, institutional giving, major gifts, annual fund/membership, planned giving, stewardship, and development operations.
● A deep appreciation for music/the arts and the ability to convey that appreciation in an engaging and conversational manner.
● Proven success in securing major gifts and building long-term relationships with high-level donors.
● Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate appropriately and effectively with both external and internal community members.
● Commitment to building and managing a healthy and strong team, dedicated to the mission of the organization and motivated to continuously improve upon their efforts.
● Strong organizational and time management skills; with an ability to plan ahead, meet deadlines, and collaborate with fellow administrators, board members, and leadership.
● Experience with donor management systems, preferably Tessitura, and an interest in other current and emerging technologies related to fundraising.
● Knowledge of the Columbus and mid-Ohio philanthropic, social, and business communities.
● Awareness of current trends in the field as well as legal and tax-related requirements related to charitable giving.
● Understanding of the organizational budgeting process in order to set departmental goals and report on them throughout the year.
● Excellent oral and written communications skills, including a proven track record with successful grant funding.
● Experience producing large-scale donor events (galas, etc.) and engaging a Board in the success of those events.
● Willingness and ability to attend evening and weekend performances, as well as to attend meetings and events offsite and outside the regular workday.
This position is full time with some opportunity for flex work (location and schedule). The ability to work some evenings and weekends is necessary. Benefits include paid vacation, sick time, and holidays, participation in JAG’s health, dental, vision, and life insurance plans, complimentary tickets to Jazz Arts Group performances, and more.
To be considered for the Vice President of Development position, please send a resume/work history, letter of interest, and two professional writing samples (letter of interest, solicitation letter, short article or blog post, etc.) to [email protected]. This is an immediate opening and qualified and interested candidates are encouraged to apply asap. Please, no phone calls.
Jazz Arts Group is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com