Website The Ohio State University
Ohio State’s Office of Advancement seeks a Prospect Development Consultant to specialize in prospect management functions including portfolio management, pipeline optimization, and fundraising moves management. It partners directly with 25-30 major gift fundraisers in various academic departments and colleges within the university. Activities include working closely with assigned units, attending, participating in and sometimes leading 1:1s, annual fundraiser portfolio consultations, trainings, and strategic fundraising meetings.
The Office of Advancement is made up of professionals in the areas of alumni engagement, fundraising, business planning, and operations who build a community of lifelong champions to support and advocate for the University. This position reports to the Associate Director of Prospect Development and is a key player on a team of over 20 prospect development professionals. Results of prospect development work directly impact Advancement’s major gift fundraisers in identifying and moving prospects through the solicitation cycle, impacting dollars raised for university priorities.
The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills, a high level of proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite (including Word, Outlook, and Excel), a strong client service orientation, critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to maintain confidentiality and use good judgment when working with sensitive information. They will also exhibit the behaviors associated with the Office of Advancement’s core competencies: Leadership, Continuous Improvement, Teamwork & Collaboration, and Communication/Interpersonal Effectiveness.
Duties and Responsibilities:
45% Build strong partnerships with front-line fundraisers and prospect development colleagues in developing strategic recommendations and approaches for prospects at various points of the donor cycle; Work independently as lead prospect management advisor for one or more fundraising units; Meet with assigned development teams/officers regularly to disseminate prospect information, acquire understanding of the goals and needs of each unit supported and any unique industry related trends of that area, and develop prospect strategies to achieve the goals.
40% Apply prospect management and unit-specific knowledge to provide direct data, system, and policy support to unit, development officers, and other university staff to ensure timely and accurate management of sensitive prospect data; Train fundraisers on prospect management policy and practice; Carry out day-to-day functionality of prospect management, including but not limited to facilitating new assignments, transfers, dismissals, solicitations, pipeline analysis, and other data updates.
10% As needed, support prospect development operational functions including but not limited to formal and informal training of Advancement staff within Prospect Development and outside of the team, data analysis and visualization, system enhancements, and data maintenance; Work on innovative projects of large scope to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of prospect development work.
5% Perform other projects as assigned.
- Complete Advancement onboarding and BuckeyeLearn trainings
- Begin Prospect Development onboarding checklist
- Begin meeting Prospect Development mentors and other teammates
- Begin meeting assigned unit/college development officers
- Complete Prospect Development onboarding checklist
- Understand and apply Prospect Management policy and theory to development officer portfolios
- Attend unit/college team and strategy meetings
- Understand unit/college and Prospect Development goals and priorities
- Use Prospect Development resources and the constituent database independently to partner with teammates and development officers
- Complete prospect management requests independently
- Understand Prospect Development’s role within Advancement
- Meet all assigned units and development officers and establish regular meeting cadences
Commitment to Inclusion
The Office of Advancement is committed to active allyship in addressing and dismantling the inequities created by systemic racism and implicit, long-held bias. We pledge to:
- Act with kindness, respect, and integrity at all times
- Trust ourselves and our colleagues and empower their whole identities
- Hear and see our colleagues’ ideas, voices, and perspectives, acknowledging that we are better together
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Four (4) years of relevant experience.
- Experience with relational databases (CRM systems or Microsoft Access).
- Two (2) years of experience in prospect development.
- Experience in a fundraising, nonprofit, or higher education setting.
- Advanced Degree or equivalent experience.
- High level of proficiency with relational databases to perform queries and create reports (working knowledge of Blackbaud CRM Query preferred and/or Microsoft Access or similar).
- Background in training/coaching clients on complex concepts and business processes.
You Need to Know
Aside from the unparalleled benefits of working for The Ohio State University and working in the diverse, smart, energetic, and growing city of Columbus, Ohio, this opportunity will provide exceptional rewards that arise from working for an institution doing worldwide life-changing research. Learn more here: https://hr.osu.edu/careers/
How to Apply
Please visit www.advancement.osu.edu to find out more about Ohio State’s Office of Advancement. Questions may be directed to Steph Mizer, Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition at [email protected]
To learn more and apply, please visit: https://osujoblinks.com/scd7
The Ohio State University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status. The university is committed to establishing a culturally and intellectually diverse work environment, encouraging all members of our learning community to reach their full potential. We are responsive to dual-career families and strongly promote work-life balance to support our community members through a suite of institutionalized policies and practices.
To apply for this job please visit osujoblinks.com.