Website Wittenberg University
Small private liberal arts university in Springfield, OH
Wittenberg is seeking a Director of Development (DOD). The DOD will be a part of the fundraising team at Wittenberg University and report directly to the Assistant Vice President for Advancement and Operations. In collaboration with colleagues, the DOD will focus on building a successful pipeline of major gift donors as part of Wittenberg’s current $100 million comprehensive campaign and ongoing fundraising efforts. This is a full-time, exempt-level position.
Essential functions include, but are not limited to:
- Determine engagement strategies for a portfolio of 100-125 individual alumni and friends to make annual and major gift asks of $25,000 and above.
- Conduct all stages of the gift solicitation process: qualify, cultivation, solicitation, negotiation, and stewardship.
- Attain annual dollar and visit goals (both individual and team goals) as determined in collaboration with Advancement Leadership.
- Develop a pipeline of donors/prospects: soliciting them for upgrades, multi-year commitments, and major gift asks of $25k+, including legacy gift asks.
- Develop and maintain relationships with faculty, administrators and staff associated with specific programs relevant to assigned prospects.
- Steward current donors to retain and increase their support while seeking opportunities to develop new donors for campaign priorities.
- Communicate with donors, in person and through print and electronic channels, to promote giving opportunities and campaign progress.
- Develop gift proposals and strategy for individual donor involvement to further philanthropic relationships among donors and Wittenberg University.
- Coordinate donor visits and small events, as appropriate, for Wittenberg’s President and other key University representatives.
- Demonstrate advanced higher education fundraising competencies within daily work: understanding of higher education fundraising, best practices, and advancement operations, as well as consistent fundraising success.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of IRS regulations in regard to gift acceptance, retirement giving, and other charitable giving entities.
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned such as special projects, programs, and developmental activities.
Candidates must have:
- A bachelor’s degree is required.
- 3 – 5 years of higher education working experience required.
- Demonstrated experience with six-figure gift closures.
- Demonstration of strong writing and reporting skills, time management presentation skills, and strong verbal communication required.
- Working knowledge and experience using Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, Teams and PowerPoint).
- Working knowledge and experience using fundraising database software.
- Ability to remain stationary for more than 50% of the work day.
- Ability to traverse oneself inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Ability to frequently operate a computer and other office machinery such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Ability to exchange accurate information in group settings and the ability to communicate information and ideas so that others will understand.
- Some evening and weekend work and special events required.
- Some travel, including overnight travel, may be required (up to 25% of the time).
- A valid driver’s license is required; must meet required insurance qualifications found in Wittenberg Motor Pool policies and procedures. If license is from out of state, successful candidate will need to obtain a valid Ohio driver’s license within 30 days of hire date.
Additional information can be found at the application link. Applicants must apply online. Applicants who require accommodation during any stage of the hiring process should contact the Office of Human Resources at (937) 327-7517 or email [email protected]
To apply for this job please visit wittenberg.interviewexchange.com.