Calendar of Events
Donor Relations: Boondoggles & Booyahs
August 8, 2023
Donor relations are a critical aspect of all fundraising. According to AFP, “good planning is essential for building donor relationships.” And CFRE states the “focus of philanthropy must be relationship-building that is customized to the needs and desires of the donor. The more you know about potential donors' motives and how they like to give, the better positioned you are to make effective solicitations.” With current trends shared by Giving USA 2022 results, good donor relations are more crucial than ever.
Join three central Ohio seasoned fundraisers for this unique, engaging, and interactive two-part session focusing on donor relations. Combined, the speakers have 100+ years of combined experience, two CFREs, two Central Ohio NPD Fundraisers of the Year, and all three served as AFP of Central Ohio Chapter Presidents (each in a different decade!) With attendees' participation, we will explore:
- The difference between boondoggles and booyahs in donor relations
- Real-life experiences and examples
- Donor relation tips
- How donor relations can influence your success, both with your donor and your organization.
This educational opportunity is divided into two parts. Part 1 (4:00 - 5:00 p.m.) will:
- Explain and define boondoggles and booyahs
- Share examples of donor relations and how to turn a boondoggle into a booyah
- Provide participants with several examples of modifying common -- but not always productive -- fundraising practices or behaviors to result in better donor relations
After a short break with time to grab a beverage, part 2 (5:00 - 6:00 p.m.) will:
- Give attendees the chance to ask their own difficult donor relations questions in a candid and confidential space.
- Come prepared to ask your questions!
Everyone is encouraged to attend both sessions, but if the program is designed that if you can only attend one, you'll still get something out of the presentation.
Due to space limitations, registration is limited to first come, first served. Pre-registration required and the registration deadline is August 4th at noon.
There will be a cash bar and light snacks will be provided.
The first 30 minutes are dedicated to networking. The session will begin promptly at 4:00 p.m.
Approved for 1.25 CFRE credits.